Saturday, July 7, 2012

Book Review - L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

Thanks to Pinterest I have become obsessed with Ms. Lauren Conrad.  The girl has turned into my fashion icon and favorite celebrity.  She has the most exquisite and elegant taste you can imagine.  Most importantly, she likes to share with her fans. Through my long hours of Googling LC I found out that she has written books!  Yes.  She has written a total of six books.


I recently read her L.A. Candy Series which consists of three books titled L.A. Candy, Sweet Little Lies, and Sugar and Spice. 



The L.A. Candy series is about two perfectly beautiful, but opposite, best friends who just moved to L.A. and get chosen to be in a reality TV show called L.A. Candy.  L.A. Candy feels like an explanation to how reality television works and since LC rose to stardom through a reality television show, one could assume that in a way she is giving that insight to her Laguna Beach/The Hills experience.

In L.A. Candy, the two main characters Jane and Scarlett get picked out of a crowd in an LA Club by a TV producer named Trevor who is trying to make a comeback.  L.A. Candy is set to follow four girls around LA living their normal lives. Except that of course not much of what happens on the show is exactly real.

I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed this book more than I should have.  It was a quick read, I would say it could be finished in five or six hours.  The vocabulary in this book is very simple.  Some of the concerns of other reviews were that she used terms like OMG, BFF and WTF, but that didn't bother me. Who doesn't throw one of those in to their conversation once in a while?  People talked about how she might have had a ghost writer but I'm guessing that who ever said that didn't read the book and see how simple it was.

L.A. Candy was the story of Jane's rise to fame.  She is the main character of the book and of the TV show. This causes conflict between her and another girl on the show, Madison.  She also starts having problems with her best friend Scarlett.

I kind of liked that this book leaves you off with a cliff hanger. It was OK for me because I had the next book lined up on my library wish list but I'm sure it sucked for the people who had to wait for the second part to be released.

All in all I give it 3 out of 5 stars because I didn't hate it.

I would recommend reading this book if you like celebrity gossip and or reality television or if you're just a fan of LC or chick-lit.

Stay tuned for the review of book two of the L.A. Candy series Sweet Little Lies.


Thanks!
-ohh

No comments:

Post a Comment